1 2 3 4
查看: 6363|回復: 0
打印 上一主題 下一主題

Lessons of China's DSP scandal

[複製鏈接]
跳轉到指定樓層
1#
發表於 2007-2-13 19:21:59 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
Beijing gets credit for coming clean on prof's IP theft, but its funding policies helped set the stage for the breach5 j$ M" s5 S5 X: C2 ]: c) A
* k' p8 F& W5 k/ g3 D1 v
By Mike Clendenin   
; D2 m- X" a; Z$ w1 [5 x; ]+ p6 M2 p* e7 P! \/ e
Courtesy of EE Times
! i* r& A6 j( ]  g(05/22/2006 0:00 H EST)    Q1 A, W) }3 q
" Y& X/ }/ h2 B" ]
These are dark days for the Chinese chip industry. China confirmed last week that Chen Jin, Microelectronics Department dean at Shanghai's prestigious Jiaotong University, faked the development of a homegrown digital signal processor that China had hailed as a major step forward in its technological capability.2 _7 p6 X, G, h

/ j" d9 O1 j: i0 N# d0 z4 w& X. y, k1 p4 b% x/ R& r& _; x
Chen, the 37-year-old project leader for the Hanxin DSP, had been under a cloud of suspicion for more than a year. The university dragged its feet on the investigation, but upon the probe's conclusion, Jiaotong acted swiftly to fire Chen, who allegedly had used intellectual property from his former employer, Freescale. The government and university have ended funding for the DSP effort. Chen is barred from future government-sponsored projects, and some of his peers believe legal action should be taken against him for his misuse of government funds. Some are also calling for an investigation into the conduct of the government panel that certified the Hanxin's authenticity.
. H( e/ P( L+ @! q" m
# i7 v2 c& i  `2 A
2 `+ r; v" t, j( MThere are lessons in this scandal.
! a8 u& q8 K5 B  W% s. q$ |7 h! H  e" A* \  I7 G2 W. H
, u" g* C* @5 F
Lesson 1: Review the process and goals of academic projects, and reconsider their tight links to industry. Chen developed the Hanxin in an atmosphere of intense competition for government funds, during a time when officials have been looking for quicker ways to commercialize research. In such an atmosphere, one may promise too much and end up desperate to deliver. Making matters worse, one source said, has been the government's desire to elevate engineers to heroes, to hold up symbols of rapid progress in a profession usually characterized by many small steps.
' _0 V/ ^) m. {: G& o7 x5 C/ K4 w  j' L8 z9 a# f( g1 `
" ~$ _* N, T# H1 Q% \2 j
Lesson 2: Don't reinvent the wheel. Why squander government resources on a homegrown DSP, when there are already entrenched offerings in the market? Government money has also subsidized other dubious projects, such as a domestic CPU. Such programs generate headlines but don't make much business sense.
9 H, ]; l' N$ {! ?( E* u# q' N  Z% Q' N

1 W0 u$ I8 R+ [6 [$ |Instead, China should focus on other parts of the food chain, such as software development, or slices of intellectual property that will slot into system-on-chip platforms for popular consumer products. It would be better off lending greater support, with no strings attached, to the private sector to determine which product areas offer the best return for R&D dollars. University work should continue, of course, but should be scrutinized. And the intent should be crafting novel technologies, not Chinese sources for existing ones. That is not innovation.
' D1 p9 s! o: u7 S- j; l  |8 v: s0 t. c2 ?
! V) Z6 R; ?' q1 z
Jiaotong and the government are to be credited for the high-profile accounting of the Chen investigation. The university pulled no punches, berating Chen for breach of trust, calling his behavior "despicable" and warning other scientists not to travel his path. Investigations into other heavily funded projects are under way, however, and may reveal similar breaches, sources said. # ]. R2 ?! M. f7 S

2 l/ o' b7 V4 w7 ]) X# H& ~
: C5 R0 O1 g' ?2 EAs China cleans up the mess, the government must realize that patient encouragement, diligent support and realistic expectations should be the guiding forces for achieving its goal of an innovation society. The country is well on its way, thanks to the work of the many thousands of honest scientists, engineers and educators who are the hope of China's high-tech industry.
( t* ]% {/ k/ b
/ f2 r' c0 e" i' r; \& D[ 本帖最後由 masonchung 於 2007-11-25 12:41 AM 編輯 ]
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空間QQ空間 騰訊微博騰訊微博 騰訊朋友騰訊朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 頂2 踩 分享分享
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請會員

本版積分規則

首頁|手機版|Chip123 科技應用創新平台 |新契機國際商機整合股份有限公司

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 12:58 PM , Processed in 0.102006 second(s), 17 queries .