Chip123 科技應用創新平台

標題: 元件模型在IC設計產業的角色 [打印本頁]

作者: DaShiaSun@FB    時間: 2016-12-2 03:03 AM
標題: 元件模型在IC設計產業的角色
A top-down design approach in IC industry comprises of three levels which includes:
) P8 a( w, i$ K0 w8 j, M5 @IC design (circuit-level), model / device(device-level), IC process technology(fabrication-level).! Q  c) Q+ K7 {/ _  h# Y
On the circuit-level, & U( g4 g) A! c& F5 V- Y$ a( W' I
a compact model provides the external terminal electrical characteristics ) C) t( [8 L5 J6 @, N3 E! W' u
resulted from the mathematic expressions of an electronic device.+ x( f! {' k+ e0 p6 j2 n  |3 g: H
The external terminal characteristics (Pin Characteristics) includes terminal voltages, currents or charges, & ~0 q: ?  h6 z5 b
are featured as the input and output ports values.& u# A. J, }5 v, N' c' |* \
The unknown ports values of a device are solved by a simulator when performing circuit analysis.
9 M$ k; S3 n. V( q/ f8 U; L( _6 wAfter the structure and behavior of the individual compact model is specified, the description(structure and behavior) are
4 n5 F, i2 x" a0 n4 \  osubmit to the simulator. The simulator employees KCL and KVL to create a set of nonlinear equations.
+ M5 j1 g9 B& ?4 u5 LThe nonlinear differential equations are not solved directly, but with approximation and iterative methods. Under certain 5 r% u% ?5 G+ A. ]9 C% M2 K
approximation, the equations are solved with the Newton-Raphson method. The solutions are equilibrium points of nodal analysis.
+ Y/ Y# L; E/ }6 v' J9 g! m& _3 m3 ZIC design engineers work on a higher abstraction level than the device(transistor) level.$ f# s' i0 ?0 i6 V2 }, w. P
In other words, transistors are the primitive components in the eye of IC designer.
9 G% A; x! h4 ^A virtual symbol is the representive of a real device(component).. i( E1 a* ^* J+ f" }4 f& W
For instance, transistor's compact model is seen as a 4 pins symbol. 4 \% ]& b3 @: G& {. M
In Advanced Design System(ADS),  three design types are allowed: schematic, symbol, and layout.
' P; e' v% }2 nThose designs can all be stored in a small containner names "cell" and a big containner names "library".
; {, @1 A0 P5 ~$ a1 z9 mIC designer works with the connection of some symbols in a schematic.
" z' B8 ^5 d# _+ W, `9 L% Q  L" @Each symbol represents an electronic device (component).
! z- I0 E9 L$ ?! u7 B. H
2 H7 S; s2 X9 k$ O; J! L
# V# C, f; I4 N4 T
( t8 ]# z% n( c8 C$ ]+ q& ^& GLittle knowledge of a device's internal structures and behaviours are required for IC designers. Because a device works as a funtional block. In stead, a device's external structures (connection) and behaviours are of concerns.
; S# O2 r  ?8 L+ b4 BOn the fabrication-level,
% G1 K; t6 J7 Y0 Oa compact model has the internal description of the device characteristics by means of a set of physics-based expressions with
# s: r- b  _2 ntechnology dependent model parameters. The physic-based model parameters values accounts for the actual behavior and properties
9 k" B7 [! \4 R1 M$ Q3 c8 Lof a device are defined by its process variables such as: geometrical dimensions and doping profiles.) y% U6 i% `# |: }! X; V
The true parameters values need to be carefully measured by the experimental setup of device characterization. : e! o( z! ?1 j( f- A5 _7 g
Accordingly,
) G- d$ j! M9 y; F( a1 T& ^! x2 mthe verified compact models are expected to be implemented in simulators.( B( y3 T8 g' y# S7 w9 e+ G
Thus the modelling accuracy and computational efficiency that a simulator can provide to integrate circuits' analysis 8 A# a- z7 q; _
is the same as its implemented compact model. Meanwhile, a compact model is the most crucial process design kit, which plays as the interface between circuit designers and device developers.
1 N9 ^4 ?$ S7 {8 O. m; ], g
1 _3 B- C! U  e3 e
* X9 b4 o/ w* X$ N, t
' o( K% X2 k, C. s# d# C; Q0 [# y* U" |2 @+ E3 G+ L" b
2 ?# s* ~0 o' Y3 A
) P9 i) y  W; a
9 W8 g( N# s0 |7 X3 Q' ~) j
1 u& Z" b- K2 {# w+ @2 u( w

( Y2 u) b0 q7 `' F" a9 f, F

歡迎光臨 Chip123 科技應用創新平台 (http://www.chip123.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2